Monday, January 12, 2009

Potty Diaries / Diary of a potty-training mom (or rather Diary of a mom potty-training her son : )

*** Warning: the following contains potty-training language and descriptions suitable only for mothers with small children ***
Day 1 (January 8): 6 outfit changes; no pee or poop in the toilet. Attempted every 30 minutes ALL DAY LONG - poor Megan had many interrupted feedings and some feedings in the bathroom. Nathaniel would sit on the toilet for 10-15 minutes and produce nothing. The second his underwear and pants were back on, he would go. After he went, he would waddle with his feet really far apart saying "peepee". The reward M&Ms left untouched in the bathroom. Naked boy and pee on floor found in bedroom after nap. What am I thinking??!!! Potty training is not for the faint of heart (or stomach)...

Day 2: Nothing in the toilet, soiled all 8 pairs of underwear and 6 pairs of pants. Offered reward of TV - declared ban on TV until he goes in the toilet! (I later regretted this but had to follow through). A boy who is normally obssessed with TV suddenly stopped touching or asking for TV. I think we have some control issues going on here!
I'm beginning to hate that stupid timer that goes off every 30 minutes! When you're taking a kid to the bathroom every 30 minutes, there's not much time left to do anything else. Mama leaves in the evening to regain her sanity. Meanwhile, Nathaniel gets potty demonstrations from Papa and is fascinated, but still no results. Peed on the hardwood floor despite our deligence in watching him every second... he even pulled up his pants afterwards. Hmmm, not sure if this is progress or not.

Day 3: Poops in a book, closes it and puts underwear and pants back on during naptime. Lovely. So much for instilling an appreciation of literature. Put a cheerio in the toilet for a target but all he did was find random cheerios through the house and put them in the toilet; I hope I haven't started something bad.... Nothing else to report other than the same stuff from Day 1 & 2.

Day 4: Picked out a potty chair hoping it would be the answer - maybe he wants his very own throne??!! Pooped a tiny bit and pulled his pants down. We rushed to the bathroom but he adamantly refused to sit on the potty. Stayed dry overnight and during naptime. Still no TV but I'm starting to enjoy the lack of TV. We made wands tonight out of foil and streamers.

Day 5: Around 10am ran into bathroom and peed his pants. At least he's making it into the bathroom! Progress - YEAH! Went to the library right after that - his first outing with underwear on. Hey - I'm celebrating the little things. After we got home, I was feeding the baby and saw him starting to take off his underwear and pants. I threw the baby aside (gently, of course) and picked him up and sprinted to the bathroom. He sat on his new potty. I stepped out for a second, came back and he was standing up, pooping and peeing at the same time. The poop made it in the pot; the pee all over a book, but we can work with that! I've never been so happy to see poo in my whole life!!! The glorious potty party began! We celebrated with praise, M&M's, cookies, and the coveted Dora on TV. Stay tuned for Day 6 - potty-training or potty-trained?

7 comments:

Crystal said...

Wow girl!!! Craziness! I should have let you borrow my "Potty Training in one Day" book. Although I can say for sure that it worked... Good luck!

Jeremy and Laura Lebow said...

The poop in the book made me laugh SO HARD. Funny story. Can't say I can relate, but I know I will when my time comes. :)

LDraper said...

I should probably apologize for laughing SO hard.... But, I'm hoping you're laughing too!

I'm with Laura... it was the poop in the book that got me.

:) Linds

Shannon said...

Hey Shari! I found you! I tagged you this morning! Check out my blog!

Shannon

The Johnsons said...

Well, you'll never be for a lack of memory making!

Jessy said...

Hi Shari!

Amber told me about your potty training fun and I had to read it for myself. Maybe it was a commentary on the writing?!

Tiffany said...

Seriously Nathanial, poop and pee on books... :) Appreciation for liturature, definintely put that on the docket for after potty training is mastered! I can hardly wait to hear about Day 6!!!! Don't keep us in suspence any longer, man!!

XOXOXOXO
Tiff