Great Parents, Lousy Lovers by Dr. Gary Smalley & Ted Cunningham has a title that pretty much summarizes the book. The book centers on the importance of building a marriage that is strong, even after the kids leave home. I was a bit skeptical at first since I don't feel that my husband and I are "Lousy Lovers" (whether or not we're "Great Parents" is yet to be determined!). However, this book had a lot to offer us even as "pretty good" lovers.
The first part of the book talked a lot about why and how to avoid a child-centered home and family. The second part of the book discussed bringing your marriage & relationship to the next level in many areas. Real life examples and application tips were given throughout. At the end of each chapter, date night & discussion topic suggestions were given for homework. I found the book to be a light read (with occasional humor) with lots of helpful information, some of which I shared with my husband. This launched some meaningful conversation and changes in our relationship. I would recommend this book to anyone that is married with kids. The tendency when you have kids is to make it all about them, but we need to make sure we have a solid marriage relationship that will last through the empty nest phase of life.
I recieved a complimentary copy of this book for review purposes from Tyndale House.





No comments:
Post a Comment